Barrett family from about 1810
Some South Australian Families
- BIRTH: Possibly about 1810, England
- DEATH: Probably between July and September 1838, Hungerford, Berkshire, England [Source: Free BMD (Hungerford b6 p11)]
Father: ? BARRETT
Mother: Not known
Family: Elizabeth WOODLEY
NOTE: John Barrett died (cause unknown) between about July and September 1838 in Hungerford, England and his wife, Elizabeth, brought their surviving children to South Australia in 1840. Further details on the Woodley page
- MARRIAGE: 13 January 1828, Hungerford, Berkshire, England (IGI data).
- William BARRETT b about 1828, ch 1 August 1828, Hungerford, Berkshire, England
- Elizabeth Martha BARRETT b about 1829, ch 8 November 1829, Hungerford, Berkshire, England; d (78y) 15 July 1909, Robe, South Australia.
- Priscilla BARRETT b about 1831, ch 14 August 1831, Hungerford, Berkshire, England; d (73y?) 27 October 1906, Adelaide, South Australia
- Emily BARRETT b about 1832, ch 27 January 1833, Hungerford, Berkshire, England
- Mary Ann BARRETT b about 1834, ch 4 May 1834, Hungerford, Berkshire, England; d 15 January 1917, Adelaide, South Australia
- James BARRETT b about 1836, ch 31 January 1836, Hungerford, Berkshire, England
- Selina BARRETT b December quarter 1837 (Hungerford, volume 6, page 146), ch 28 January 1838, Hungerford, Berkshire, England; d September quarter 1838, (Hungerford, volume 6, page 11)
Notes on the children of John Barrett and Elizabeth Woodley
It appears that the children who accompanied their mother to South Australia were William, Elizabeth Martha, Priscilla and Mary Ann. The fate of Emily and James is unknown but it is presumed that they died as infants. According to Free BMD, Selina BARRETT died in 1838.
William BARRETT - no details known
Elizabeth Martha BARRETT married Adolphus WHITBREAD on 30 November 1846 at Holy Trinity Church, Adelaide (Priscilla BARRETT was a witness at the wedding). Their children included:
- Elizabeth Priscilla WHITBREAD b 10 January 1852 (Burra Region, SA); d 1934
- John WHITBREAD b 26 March 1862, Mt Deception, South Australia
- Mary Ann WHITBREAD b 8 February 1865, Port Augusta
Priscilla BARRETT married Samuel HUMPSTONE (sometimes shown as HUMPSTON) in about 1851. Their children included:
- Mary Ann HUMPSTONE b 6 July 1853, Hindmarsh, South Australia; d before 1865
- Elizabeth HUMPSTONE b 30 July 1861, Inwood (near Penwortham), South Australia; d 19 August 1940, Hawthorn, South Australia
- Caroline HUMPSTONE b 19 October 1863, near Penwortham South Australia
- Mary Ann HUMPSTONE b 12 October 1865, Penwortham, South Australia; m George Henry Stanton (1861-1934); d 30 August 1942 (buried at Jamestown Cemetery SA)
- Fannie Audrey HUMPSTONE b 18 October 1872, Mintaro, South Australia
Mary Ann BARRETT details below
- BIRTH: 1834, Hungerford, Berkshire, England
- CHRISTENED: 4 May 1834, Hungerford, Berkshire, England
- ARRIVAL (in South Australia): 7 July 1840 on Fairlie in the company of her mother Elizabeth, her brother and two sisters.
- DEATH: 15 January 1917, (Royal) Adelaide Hospital, South Australia, gangrene in leg (BDM Index of SA Deaths b 407 p 258)
- BURIED: North Road Cemetery, Nailsworth, South Australia
Note that Mary Ann CHILDS (nee BARRETT) is buried with her sons, John CHILDS and Arthur Ernest Adolphus CHILDS (my grandfather) and (my grandmother) Florence "Florrie" Alice CHILDS (nee FOGDEN). If the birth date shown above is correct it would appear that Mary Ann's age on her headstone (and on the Death Certificate) is incorrect and that her age shown on the Marriage Certificate is more accurate (and is consistent with the Assisted Immigration Record).
Father: John BARRETT
Mother: Elizabeth WOODLEY
Family: Henry Benjamin CHILDS
- MARRIAGE: 16 April 1853, Christ Church, North Adelaide, South Australia, by banns, Rev W Woodcock, Witnesses, Charles Henderson and Elizabeth Whitbread (ie Mary Ann's sister)
Note: Mary Ann's age is shown as 19 years at the date of her marriage to Henry Benjamin Childs. This age is confirmed by her likely birthdate. Mary Ann's death certificate indicates that she was aged 17 years at her marriage. This would appear to be incorrect. Marriage records for South Australia in 1853 did not show fathers' names.
CHILDREN: (Note: father's name often shown as Benjamin Henry or just Benjamin)
- William Henry CHILDS b 27 August 1853, Hindmarsh, d 21 January 1854, Hindmarsh
- Henry Benjamin CHILDS b 12 March 1855, Bowden (Father shown as Henry Benjamin), d 27 September 1919, Adelaide
- John CHILDS b 2 August 1857, Middleton (Shown as CHILD and father as CHILD), d 22 January 1924, Beaumont, South Australia
- Sarah Ann CHILDS b 31 March 1860, Middleton (Shown as CHILD and father as CHILD); d 15 April 1941
- Emily Florence CHILDS b 13 May 1862, Middleton (Shown as CHILD and father as CHILD); d (40y) 3 March 1902 at Adelaide
- George Herbert CHILDS b 6 April 1865, Port Elliot (Shown as CHILD - father CHILD, mother Maryann BARRIET), d 18 July 1944
- Ellen CHILDS b 11 October 1867, Middleton (Mother shown as Maryanne)
- William Alfred CHILDS b 7 March 1871, Middleton (Mother shown as Maryann BARRITT)
- Arthur Ernest Adolphus CHILDS b 21 August 1873, Goolwa (2nd name shown as 'Earnest'. Mother Mary Anne)
- Walter James CHILDS b 15 October 1877, Moonta (Mother shown as Mary Ann SKIPPER); d 12 June 1959
See the Childs Page for more detailed notes on the descendants of Mary Ann BARRETT (and Henry Benjamin CHILDS).
Some further information about Mary Ann Barrett
The following item appeared in The Advertiser in 1912:
At the residence of Mrs. M. A. Childs,
Gilbert-street, Bowden, on April 5, a social gathering was held. Mrs. Childs is a colonist of 72 years, having arrived in the ship Fairlea in the year 1840, with her mother, Mrs. Elizabeth Barrett. She was a resident of Moonta for a number of years, and removed to Parkside over 30 years ago. Her husband, who died about nine years ago, was a mail driver for Messrs. Chambers Bros, for years. There are six sons and two daughters, living in different parts of Australia.
Source: The Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1889-1931) Monday 8 April 1912, Page 8
The following death notice appeared in The Advertiser on 16 January 1917:
CHILDS - On the 15th January, at the Adelaide Hospital, Mary Ann Childs, aged 87 years [sic], leaving five sons and two daughters to mourn their loss.
Mary Ann BARRETT -|
|_ Elizabeth WOODLEY
- Church of England Parish Records - Christ Church, North Adelaide Mary Ann's Marriage Certificate
- Church of England Burial Records - North Road Cemetery
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (Mormons) International Genealogical Index (IGI) Information on Mary Ann's siblings and parents. Note that the IGI shows "Mary Ann" as "Marianne".
- AL Cobiac (editor) South Australian Marriages - Index of Registrations 1842-1916 South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society Inc
- AL Cobiac (editor) South Australian Deaths - Index of Registrations 1842-1915 South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society Inc
- SA Office of Births, Deaths and Marriages Index of SA Deaths 1916 - 1925
- State Library of SA Immigration Records 1836 - 1845
- Jan Thomas (editor) South Australian Births - Index of Registrations 1842-1906 South Australian Genealogy and Heraldry Society Inc
Updated 15 November 2010
Some South Australian Families